Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Cartagena Colombia

Cathedral and a nice couple that I had a long conversation with.

As I lay here naked in my cell. I am contemplating many things. First off, the dark hue of my urine. The heat has sucked me dry. My Hinterland Amber colored pee this morning was an indication on water intake. Check. Try to hydrate. What I don't understand is, as I question my 2 and half days in the city with limited water, the locals seem to wake up, drink coffee, work, lunch, drink coca cola, work, dinner, beer, sleep.  Am I missing something?  

Yesterday, I switched hostels from the hip euro place to a more local, single bedroom with bathroom. Very nice choice. A few times yesterday I witnessed a power outage at my hostel. Not thinking much of it I left for a walk. On my return I see 4 men, must have been from the power company.  2 of them are looking up the pole at a transformer the other 2 have very long sticks. The long sticked men are trying to hook something back up but only seem to hit the transformer over and over.

After a few days of wondering the city with my camera I find myself sitting and soaking more then shooting.  I seem to enjoy taking it all in more then being a spectator and shooting every second.

 Streets of Cartagena

Man writing

Old fortress wall

I have noticed many similarity to other places I have travel. It feels much like Antigua Guatemala and Panama City's Casco Veijo.  A mix of the beautiful old city and the new.  There is also a strange romantic quality to the city which feels very much like Venice.  The flooded streets today probably helped that today. All in all a beautiful city.

Tomorrow I hope to go Northeast and get into a cooler climate, maybe climb into the Andes.

More soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment

d